Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:52:53 -0400

"Johnathan Corgan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric and I discussed doing something like this but deferred it until we
> got the new build stabilized.  We're pretty close to that point, modulo
> some nits that keep showing up on certain platforms that I can't directly
> test on.
>
> To confirm:
>
> What you're suggesting is to have an --enable-foo and --disable-foo per
> component.  The --enable option would cause a build failure if
> dependencies for that component were not satisfied.  The --disable option
> would prevent that component from showing up in any make targets or
> output.  The default without specifying either would be to enable the
> component if possible (current behavior.)  I supposed you'd also need a
> --disable-everything so you didn't have to --disable one by one to build a
> single component.

What I really want is an easy way to build each component by
downloading some tarball (can be same for all) and doing some sort of
./configure argument and ending up with only each logical component
installed.   Your detailed suggestion sounds like it does this exactly.

  This isn't that hard, but touches a lot of things. There is also
  some deep voodoo going on to handle make check on a component when a
  dependent component has not been installed yet (such as on a virgin
  build/install.)  I have to think a bit on how to handle this.

From the pkgsrc point of view, it's ok to insist that a depending
component be either
 already installed where it belongs
or
 built in this build tree.

I'm not sure about other systems, or if this is hard.

--
    Greg Troxel <address@hidden>