[Discuss-gnuradio] Stereo FM receiver

From: Anastasopoulos Achilleas
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Stereo FM receiver
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:20:28 -0500 (EST)

Dear all,

I have coded an FM receiver that demodulates stereo stations.
You can find the code in

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~anastas/gnuradio/stereo_rcv_gui.py

I have only tested it with the

"fm_256k_complex_baseband.dat"

file that Eric provided some time ago (can be found on
http://comsec.com/data )
and it seems to work,
although it is not clear whether I am hearing stereo or mono,
since the difference is negligible...
I would appreciate any feedback, since this was my first attempt with
gnuradio.

Those of you who followed my questions in the list regarding the
direction of time and the way gnuradio implements filtering
may find interesting the piece of code that measures and compenstates
for the pilot phase (is it a coincidence that no compensation was
required after all?)

Also, there is one thing that would be cool to implement:
some sort of software AGC that measures the pilot power and updates
the gain (to maintain a unit power subcarrier) every, say, 5 secs.
One idea is to get the squared signal, measure the DC component
and call filter.set_taps((...)) once every 5 seconds...
I am not sure how to implement this (maybe using time.sleep(5))

Best
Achilleas