Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software Defined Radio and OSGi?

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Software Defined Radio and OSGi?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:26:31 -0800

> Comments? Java and GNU Radio, unrealistic or possible? Anyone doing this
> already?

Nobody's doing it.  SWIG can create Java interface files so Java code
can call the C++ underpinnings of GNU Radio.  But you'd have to
reimplement the Python "callouts" that set policy for the C++ base
classes, before you could run even a simple Java "dial tone" application.

It sounds like a fine experiment in generalization/portability, for
someone who doesn't actually want to do much radio experimentation.
But I hope the GNU Radio project doesn't split off into
programming-language-oriented subsets.

I don't think you could mix Python modules, Java modules, and C++ modules
of GNU Radio, probably because both Java and Python want to own the world,
manage the heap, etc.  But I could be wrong.

        John