Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] buffer allocation

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] buffer allocation
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:11:35 -0800

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 08:01:45AM -0600, Suvda Myagmar wrote:
> In gr_block.h it says,
> "Although blocks may consume data on each input stream at a different
> rate, all outputs streams must produce data at the same rate. That rate
> may be different from any of the input rates."
>
> I don't understand this comment. I thought a given block may have only
> one output stream and multiple input streams.

No.  A block may have multiple output streams.  E.g., a block that
takes a stream of complex numbers on it's input and outputs two
streams of floats, one the real and one the imaginary, or one the
magnitude and one the angle, etc.

The io_signatures you asked about yesterday are what specify the
constraints on the number and type of input streams and output
streams.

> However, a given buffer  may have one writer and multiple readers,
> and the readers must read at  the same rate, right?

No, the readers do not have to read at the same rate.  They could do
anything at all.

Hope this helps,
Eric