Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] error

From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] error
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:13:39 +0530 (IST)

On Mon, January 10, 2005 11:44 pm, Eric Blossom said:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 01:39:12PM +0100, Martin Dvh wrote:
>> I have a gnuradio cvs version from a while back which was compiled with
>> I have a recent cvs version compiled with gcc 3.4 which fails with a
>> segmentation fault.
>> >gcc-3.4 --version
>> gcc-3.4 (GCC) 3.4.2 (Debian 3.4.2-2)
>> >CC=gcc-3.4 CPP=cpp-3.4 CXX=g++-3.4 ./configure
>> >make CC=gcc-3.4 CPP=cpp-3.4 CXX=g++-3.4
>> >make CC=gcc-3.4 CPP=cpp-3.4 CXX=g++-3.4 install
>> >cd src/tests
>> >./test_all
>> Segmentation fault
>>
>> Still gnuradio seems to work sort-of. I do see some strange effects.

Did the test program catch the error and say it caught a SIGBUS?

> This is a problem somewhere in your Debian installation.
> I'm not a Debian user, so I'm not inclined to track this down.
> The problem could be that some library, e.g., libstdc++ is built with
> the buggy compiler.  I've seen two possibly related problems.  These
> problems do not show up on other GNU/Linux systems such as Mandrake or
> FC 2 or 3.
>
> (1) That shm_open was returning a non-zero value that was in fact not
> good.
> (2) That constructor/destructors of stack allocated classes were not
>     being properly handled.

I will try reproducing this problem tonight and debug it. I suspect that
some program in the chain has incompatible ABI. Debian has many versions
of c++ libraries (libstdc++{5,6}) and compilers in the archive, so one has
to be careful, to chose the right one.

Thanks
--
  Ramakrishnan