Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HDTV and the USRP

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] HDTV and the USRP
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:49:46 -0700

At 12:23 PM 7/28/2004, John Gilmore wrote:
> Wasn't one of the major requirements of the USRP to be able to handle
> [HDTV in real time]?

No.  The main requirement of the USRP was to make hardware that ordinary
people can buy and plug in, which is at least as capable as the $1200
PCI boards that were used in our early work (including the HDTV decoding).

My notes pre-date the USRP's formal design, but in them it was discussed more than once that an ability of the sought after A/D - D/A board to unburden the host CPU by performing demodulation was important. Since I was not involved in later design discussions I can only assume it was dropped as a requirement.

steve