Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAX2827

From: Brian Whitaker
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] MAX2827
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 07:06:14 -0700

The MAX2827 IC itself is actually pretty cheap. I know that, alone, doesn't
mean much for Krys, Saber, Matt, who will only ever buy a few parts. It's
the EVKit that is the barrier to entry. As far as control goes, you'd get a
piece of s/w that bit-bangs SPI on the parallel port and sets all the
registers and such with a Windows GUI.

Maxim's competitors for these receivers are guys like Broadcom (they have
their own BB, but might sell just the receiver), Atheros (a-only, I think,
and also have their own BB), TI just bought 'Radia' and so now have their
own front-end. Other players are Agere, Conexant, Infineon, Intersil,
Marvell, RFMD, and SiGe. Some of these guys might offer a demo board to you
for free.

Are there any radio guys/gals from any of these companies here on the
GnuRadio list?

Brian.