[Discuss-gnuradio] GPS for USRP ideas

From: tebinuma
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GPS for USRP ideas
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 02:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I'm interested in software GPS and looking for a
practical way to get a GPS RF front-end module for
USRP.

I started designing a daughter board with Zarlink's
GP2010/GP2015. I like this chip because it's well
documented, but some of the parts are hard to
find and get pricey in small quantity. The price
could be around $200 if we make 10 or more. I made
a parts library and schematic for Eagle EDA and
am happy to share with anyone interested.

I also tried to get signals from GP2015 on a
NovAtel Supterstar II receiver, but adding wires
on 0.5 mm pitch pins was a bit challenging...

The evaluation board of MAX2740 seems to be a good
alternative. It costs $200 and requires external
reference clock.

There are several papers on direct-conversion radio
for GPS. This eliminates the RF front-end, but I'm
not quite sure how this works.

If you have any other ideas to get GPS signal for
USRP, please let me know!