RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] TelASIC 1GHz ADC

From: Brian_Whitaker
Subject: RE: [Discuss-gnuradio] TelASIC 1GHz ADC
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:55:39 -0700

Holy cow... moving the data will certainly be the issue. These types of
products are usually marketed for basestation direct-IF sampling or radar
applications. I've seen the work required to work with parts like the
MAX104/5/6/8 family (8-bit 1.5Gsps is our fastest now, I think, although it
can be overclocked), and I can say that this would very likely be beyond the
scope of what we should consider for this SDR -- at least for now.

With as much CPU horsepower as it takes to demod a single video stream,
picture the system required to demod 100+ all at once!  (Hey all you beowolf
cluster guys, there's one for you :) )

Maybe a system built around a powerful ADC like this would be excellent for
applications where there isn't so much overhead in MPEG decoding, and we're
just worried about shipping bits... but it certainly is cool!

Brian.

1000Msps x 10bits/sample = 10Gbps raw throughput... sorta rules out
wire-wrapping on a proto board, I think :)