Re: FW: [Discuss-gnuradio] MicroTune Tuners

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: FW: [Discuss-gnuradio] MicroTune Tuners
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:27:41 -0700

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 04:07:56PM -0500, H. R. Myler (@ MacLULU) wrote:

> Hobbyists ought to look to old cable
> tuners and scavenge if they can't convince MicroTune to cough up a
> module or two.

Not a bad idea, though you'll be screwed without documentation.
Also, this means an never ending expansion of tuners, interfaces and
specs.  Not exactly the way to get things to move forward quickly.

I suspect that if there's anyone out there who's willing, Microtune
would be delighted to sell you a box of the tuners, and then you could
be the local distributor for this group.  IIRC, the smallest box on
their list was 72 units.

Brian, I'm not sure if you're aware or not, but the microtune "tuner"
is actually a complete tuner module in a can.  What you get is a
module that will tune from 50M to about 860M with an IF of 5.75M.  If
you know of a better / cheaper / more available solution, please let
us know.  Also, most TV tuners have a higher IF, around 46MHz.  That's
workable, but will require either bandpass sampling (46MHz IF, with
20MS/sec sample rate would probably work), or requires a final
downconversion.

Eric