Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gigabit coming to the desktop

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Gigabit coming to the desktop
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 13:42:12 -0800

Steve Schear writes:

> The "quality" video stream Orans refers to doesn't even approach the 10
> mbps required for DVDs and the more than 35 mbps needed for HDTV.  Since
> the realized throughput of CSMA/CD systems like Ethernet is often less than
> 70% of peak, one HDTV signal could take half of a 100Base-T link.  If 100
> mbps is more than enough for home users then why were Firewire and USB 2.0
> spec'd so high?

Huh?  I was told that ATSC HDTV won't exceed about 18 Mbps (which
would make sense when there is only about 19.4 Mbps available in the
stream in the first place).  Where does the 35 Mbps come from, and
what system uses that much?

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk