Re: On the good neutrality of free software

From: Lorenzo L. Ancora
Subject: Re: On the good neutrality of free software
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 18:52:41 +0000

Denis Carikli (Replicant) <GNUtoo@cyberdimension.org>:
If you see politics as a system that regulates the interaction between
people and the world we live in, you can see every interaction between
humans beings and with the world as political.

Politics are the activities of the government, members of law-making organizations, or people who try to influence the way a country is governed and, by extension, someone's opinions about how a country should be governed: in this thread I am referring exclusively to statements that fall within this classic definition and are therefore clearly political and designed to have a political impact.

In a more narrow sense, free software itself is political as it takes a
stance on Freedom, so it wouldn't be a good idea to reject all
free software if we use "political" in that sense.

The line of thinking you are expressing tends to justify using software for purposes other than solving end-user problems, which obviously turns software into a political tool.

By the way, at a first glance your paragraph looks true ("IF (A AND B) THEN C") but analyzing it for a few minutes reveals some incoherence. Let's see why.

""free software itself is political as it takes a stance on Freedom""
Why Freedom is in title caps here? mmmhhh
There are many types of freedom and personal freedom does not necessarily correspond to political freedom. In other words, you are oversimplifying the concept of freedom, which is not unitary and is not absolute.

In addition, you are implicitly classifying people into an arbitrary group, because you are giving by assured that all who publish/develop free software are part of the free software movement or related to the FSF or to GNU. This is obviously false, because a developer could choose a free/open development model with the exclusive ending of quickly boosting software popularity or only to reduce the development costs or even for the simple satisfaction of sharing and networking, without any political aim. Countless are the individuals who share their code due to social pressure or with simple social aims.

So, developing free/libre/open-source software does not automatically imply taking a certain political stance, it only means using certain development models and/or certain licenses to accomplish the act of software development in a certain way. Hence, while we can say that certain free software developers use/abuse free software for political endings, free software itself cannot be associated to a political stance more than an hammer could be associated to carpentry.

A lot of free software games have that kind of "politics" and/or
"political messages" in them. It's also up to the people using and
working on free software to define what kind of games we want. Though
it also requires time to work on that. [...]

Here we are referring exclusively to software tools.

Games are not software but works of art. In fact a game is not aimed at solving any specific problem for the end user. In a game, the source code is like the frame of the canvas for the painter and is therefore a mere necessity, because the same plot could be expressed through a film or a story in the same way that the painter could instead paint on a wall or on the human body. The source code is never the main element of a game development project, instead the assets, the animations and the plot are. When writing a story, refraining from politics is nearly impossible, because a story must have a teaching of some sort to be entertaining. As a direct consequence, all games which feature a complex plot have an high probability of featuring politics and yet they are not political software, because they are works of art, which are historically dependent from/interleaved with politics. In my opinion, the political stances expressed in games are relevant only when the authors of the game personally express their IRL political views.

To be clear, is the same situation of a book: the views expressed by the characters are not necessarily those of the book author. This is why sometimes book authors are difficult to interview or are elusive during interviews, so as to avoid tainting their writings with "real" politics.

Personally I'd love to see very low tech games with moral choices given
to the player, that model very closely real life situations, though I've
no time to work on that, and I'd need to team up with people that
are expert on specific situations in which these moral choices arise.  As I
understand, that kind of games have been used by associations
to form people to deal with serious issues like harassment at work for
instance. So that kind of games are at the same time very political,
but they are also a very practical tool to produce positive social
change.

I'd like too to see more of these games, I find them amusing.
Yet I'd like to clarify that morality and politics are different things.

There are many different definitions, but something important is:

* morality cannot be defined by politics while ethics can;
* ethics cannot be defined by religion while morality can.

When a game prompts you for a choice:

* NPC "Sleeping Nazi": zzzZzzzZZzzZ;
* PC "Policemen": KILL/ARREST/IGNORE?

...it is really making lever on your personal morality: ethics say that killing the Nazi is wrong (because everyone deserves a fair trial) but the person's own morals could say otherwise.

Morals often ignore the means in favor of the goals; ethics take care or both goals and means; politics impose the most currently advantageous ethics; religion (along with similar social constructs) imposes a certain set of historically acceptable morals. However, morals are always ruled by subjectivity and change quickly.

The issue of politics in software are an ethical issue, because exploiting software for politics is unethical yet not necessarily immoral.

Beside games, another area that affects politics directly is software
required to run cities or countries, or even for political parties. And
in any case having that software being free looks useful in most
situations, even if you are against the institutions using it or its
goals.

I see no issue here, because the software would have no side ending at all. There is nothing wrong in a software explicitly designed for a certain political ending or to support a certain nation. I think in this case it would even be acceptable to see the owners - but not the developers - making political statements, because those would be the statements of politically exposed persons, hence ethically acceptable (it is normal for a politician to write of politics and people and governments already expect that).

And you can also use the same software being developed and/or used for
very different goals. For instance software to work on legal documents,
by adding comments and commenting on parts of the texts could be made
for making (specific) laws, or for a political party, but it could also
work for work on free software licenses (like updating the GPL),
work on public statements, or even to write a book.

The forks would acquire political side endings by increasing the popularity of the original software which was created with political purposes. The only ethically correct way towards end users would be to create a fork on a different platform with a totally different name from the original project and then purge all political references from the source code. Anyway, there is nothing wrong or political in reusing a certain algorithm, the issues could arise only with source code.

Software like Tor also works precisely because very different groups of
people use it. And I bet that opposed groups also do use it [...] > In all
theses cases, and even if the software itself does not contain
any political messages, merely the fact that it's developed for a
political goal can convey political messages.

The dark web is a gray area on an ethical and moral level, but on a political level its hated, because the State has an interest in controlling citizens and will always be against the dark web. I would say that Tor can be loosely associated with an anti-statist or anarchist position which, being inevitably present in any nation, cannot easily cast a shadow on the free software community. I see no issue in Tor.

Tor for instance Tor tries to convey positive political messages about
privacy, and human rights for instance, and it seems that they are also
working to make Tor and its community inclusive.
And while not everybody uses Tor for these goals, I think the impact of
the political message it convey is still strong, and it steers the
community and the usage of Tor toward positive goals.

The Tor Project Inc. corporation supports anonymity, but it doesn't care of the consequences: like many companies, it does its own economic interests, regardless of "good" and "evil". This is normal and expected.

Tor is abused every day to transfer child pornography, for terrorism, stalking, discrimination, assassinations and for illegal transactions (drugs, exotic animals, guns, ...), situations which could clearly have a strong negative impact on society. You only need to browse the onion network for 1 hour to realize it is both very useful and very dangerous. From time to time I do it, for personal curiosity, and I'm always amazed of people's creativity, malice and cleverness.

Supporting the development of Tor is a good idea, convincing yourself that the consequences are exclusively positive isn't. For the same reason the attached political message isn't neither good nor bad, it just makes the interest of whom might need that software.

And Given the impact that free software has on the world, I am
advocating precisely for the opposite, that is bringing in more
political consciousness in the people that contribute to free software
projects and in free software users in order to get positive changes.

"Positive changes" is a relative concept. Anything related to politics falls into a grey area for me, because all humans - with the notable exception of saints - always do their own interests either directly or indirectly: nobody is really capable of expressing a really selflessness political opinion. A political opinion aims at making the interest of someone but inevitably damages someone else, so it is something which must be expressed actively and with strong contextualization to reduce collateral damage. Software development is not a political act, it is a technical/economical/intellectual act aimed at solving an issue of the end user.

While political consciousness is good, I'd rather not want to see free software exploited for political endings. I see that as a form of corruption which should be carefully avoided.

If someone wants to express political opinions, a blog is a more appropriate place than free software websites and repositories. :-)

Quiliro <quiliro@riseup.net>:>>> I think that every action is political and non-neutral. The only way
something can be non-political and neutral is that it is accepted by all
involved parties.  Taking a neutral position otherwise is favouring the
most powerful party.  So it is also partisian, non-neutral and
political.  Advocating free software is political and partisian
(non-neutral) because it decides based on policies and favours one party
(free software distributors) over others (non-free software
distributors).  Deciding not to criticize China or to block Nazi
propaganda are both equally political and definitively partisian.
If an action results in the good of the majority of the community then it is
ethically correct, otherwise it isn't.
Self-control is the keystone of civility and the obvious solution to your
dilemma is to simply stay professional, literally stay true to the developer's
role, for the benefit of the majority.
Matter aside, in reality advocating free software won't lead to the demise of
non-free software, because it creates competition and allow for the
uncontrolled diffusion of algorithmic knowledge. Nobody escapes the laws of
economy.
However, it is always nice to "fight naively for some good ideals": there are those who fight to bury non-free software for the good of the few and those who fight to support free software for the good of the many. Two ways of seeing the world of equal dignity and value, yet both will go down in history in very different ways.
A majority rule is not fair for the minority.  Free software does not
hurt the minority (non-free software owners).  It just prevent the
owners of software from controlling the users.  That is different from
choosing the good of one over the good of the other. [...]

You just wrote that a majority rule wouldn't be fair for non-free software owners. Is that what you really intended to write? :-/

By the way, your entire answer seems rushed and at traits unrelated to the quoted text, like you didn't write it carefully. Sent a draft by mistake? Feel free to try again, taking your time to express something I could give a meaningful answer, there is no need to haste, probably I'm the most patient person here. In particular, saying that something is subjective is of minimal aid for the topic at hand and cannot justify anything, so you might want to further elaborate on that.

Your signature restricts the freedom to publish what you write.  That is
not a protection against anything.  It a restrition.

Yes, in a certain sense it is. This annoying email signature is used everywhere, with small changes, it isn't something only you receive. When I want something to be reshared I write it explicitly using a dedicated digital signature required by my government, in part due to personal preference, in part because of the weird legal requirements expressed before. Anyhow, it is only a detail, don't get yourself too much stuck on it. :-)

David Hedlund <public@beloved.name>:
I enjoyed your discussion about the topic, so I just wanted to share
this to give you more ideas. I apologize that I did not express my
intention. However, I don't have time to participate in this discussion
since I'm overloaded.

Ok pal, no problem. As always, you're too much kind.
I hope your work will soon be eased.

Best regards,
Lorenzo