Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 23:17:58 -0400

The free software directory is meant to advance the free software
movement.  We seek to replace proprietary operating systems, not to
enhance them.  So we only make entries for programs that run on GNU
(including GNU/Linux).

However, the pages of "free replacements for common applications on
the XYZ system" serve a somewhat different purpose.
It seems to make sense to recommend a Windows-only program
in the list of "replacements for Windows".  Of course, we won't
make an entry for it.

We decided to move these into the FSD because that had some advantages.
It also has some disadvantages.  It isn't a perfect fit, and this
is an example of how it is not perfect.

But I think it's ok to have a less-than-perfect fit here,
since there is no obvious perfect alternative.