Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: Lift "runs on GNU/Linux" requirement
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 02:31:27 +0200

On 2021-08-18 07:54, David Hedlund wrote:

All pages under https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Free_software_replacements#Operating_systems have a references in the "Free program" column saying: "This is a selection of the more common free software applications available for the [OS] platform, and is nothing like a comprehensive list. You may want to check the Runs-on/Windows category for more software. [OS]-only programs may be listed here as well but has external links since the Directory only includes program entries for GNU systems." -- this notice have to be extended with a strict policy if we wish to list as few OS-only programs as possible (eg: "[OS]-only programs are only allowed to be listed if no cross-platform programs for GNU/Linux and [OS] exist").

^ I think this should be added to https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Requirements for example:
* "External links to free programs that only run on proprietary systems are allowed to be listed in the Directory if no better free programs exist that also can be run on free operating systems."

    Existing example: OnionBrowser for https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:IOS, Rufus for https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:Windows

I added this to https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Requirements#Free_software_replacements as a new section.

* The policy must be more relaxed by omitting the text "if no better free programs exist that also can be run on free operating systems." to "External links to free programs that only run on proprietary systems are allowed to be listed in the Directory if no better free programs exist that also can be run on free operating systems." to allow Notepad++ (https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:Windows) to stay, or else we have to remove Notepad++ from the list.

Programs that don't run on GNU/Linux that are listed on the Free Software Directory with external links, they don't have their own entry.

Originally part of the free software replacement pages on gnu.org:
iOS: OnionBrowser - https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Collection:IOS&oldid=48776 (the link reveals that the program was originally listed at https://www.gnu.org/software/for-ios.html)
Windows: Rufus - https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Collection:Windows&oldid=48773 (the link reveals that the program was originally listed at https://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html)
    That is the only free Live USB program that I'm aware of for Windows.

Free software that I added to the new free software collections on the Free Software Directory that the old free software replacement pages on gnu.org now redirect to:
Windows:
    ClamWin - I added it here: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Collection:Windows&diff=69777&oldid=69438 (the link reveals that the program was NOT originally listed at https://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html)
        It is distributed under GNU GPL version 2. I'm not aware of any other free antivirus program for Windows.
    Notepad++ - I added the program https://directory.fsf.org/wiki?title=Collection:Windows&diff=84826&oldid=84574 because it's popular. This is the only Windows-only free software that I've added that can be replaced with free programs (Gedit, Vim) that also run on free OSes.

Replicant: Several Replicant-only programs are listed in https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Collection:Replicant. However, "Replicant is a fully free Android-like distribution that meets the Free System Distribution Guidelines (GNU FSDG)" so they don't run on a proprietary OS and thus meets the FSD requirement: "If a software program runs on a proprietary operating system, then the version of the program that runs on free software operating system should be as good or better." - https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Requirements

I've protected the entries listed at https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Free_software_replacements so only admins can add content to them.