Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Review/Submitted fields
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 10:51:57 -0400

Ian Kelling <address@hidden> writes:

> David Hedlund <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think these fields are redundant since the job is already done by the
>> page history that lists names and dates.
>>
>> |Last review by=
>>
>> |Last review date=
>>
>> |Submitted by=
>>
>> |Submitted date=
>>

>> Why do we have them at all?
>>

>> Can we nuke these fields for the next Debian meta-data sync that will
>> occur within a few weeks/months?
>
> I agree.
>
> Last reviewed by isn't necessarily reflected in history, but we have
> approved revs, which means someone somewhat trusted has reviewed the
> entire entry and the edits, so I think the it's downside of making the
> editing process tedious and confusing is greater than whatever value it
> adds.

The fields have historical value, so definite no to "nuking" them. Some
(most?) entries have never been updated in the wiki after being imported
from the previous incarnation of the Directory, so the info needs to be
preserved for them.

The thing to consider is whether to remove them from the new entry
template. But also not convinced there. A "Last review" is not the same
thing as "Last change". "Last change" could just be updating the version
number on the program without reviewing any of the other info. "Last
review" is meant to stand for the last time an entry was actually
reasonably thoroughly checked for compliance with FSD criteria. Also,
how easy is it to search in MW based on info like changes to Entries by
a particular user or all the Entries which have not had a change since
$DATE?

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
https://status.fsf.org/johns | https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<https://my.fsf.org/join>.