Re: [directory-discuss] xsparse number format

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] xsparse number format
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 16:42:05 -0500

Richard Johnson <address@hidden> writes:

> You have a tool called xsparse
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/utils/xsparse.html) that is used to expand
> sparse files stored in GNU tar format.
>

> The spec given
> https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/PAX-1.html#SEC193
>
> Says that “The sparse map itself is stored in the file data block, preceding
> the actual file data. It consists of a series of octal numbers of arbitrary
> length, delimited by newlines.”
>

> However I think the xsparse tool interprets the number of holes, offsets and
> lengths as decimal rather than octal, so either
>
> 1 the tool doesn’t meet the spec
>
> 2 the spec is wrong
>
> 3 or more likely I have the wrong end of the stick 😊

Hi Richard,

It looks like you've come to the wrong mailing list for this issue. I
would subscribe to either of the lists linked to here
https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/, and send them the same message.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF