Re: [directory-discuss] Location of statements excluding software from D

From: David Hedlund
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Location of statements excluding software from Directory
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 16:26:40 +0100

See the "Replacement for" column at https://www.gnu.org/software/for-windows.html (eg IceCat replaces Firefox).

I have asked the FSF to add "Iridium" as a specific replacement for "Chrome".

On 2018-01-09 14:42, David Seaward wrote:
Hi all,

This is kind-of related to the recent query about the status of
Chromium et al. Is there a single location where the status of
excluded software is recorded?

For example, to the best of my knowledge Firefox isn't listed in the
Directory primarily because it recommends proprietary plugins. But I
can't actually find this fact recorded somewhere.

I'm not suggesting that the Directory or FSF should maintain an
exhaustive list of all non-libre software! But perhaps a list of
well-known, you-thought-they-were-libre-but-they-arent applications
would be helpful? Similar to "Explaining Why We Don't Endorse Other
Systems".

(If it already exists and I missed it, please point me to it! :)

Regards,
David