Re: [directory-discuss] Evaluating different components of Bitwarden

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Evaluating different components of Bitwarden
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 13:12:31 -0700

David Seaward <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Bitwarden is a complete password management solution, it includes a
> browser extension [1] and an option to store data on the
> vendor/developers' eponymous server or a self-hosted backend [2].
>
> However, the backend is written in C# - last time I checked it was
> still non-free due to patent issues.

mono-runtime-sgen and monodevelop is packaged in debian, it runs c#, so
it seems patent threats are just theoretical and I think we can call a
C# program free software at this point.

> So the self-hosted server can't be
> listed on FSD. But what about the browser extension, which is not C#
> but presumably points to that server? (In this case the data is
> encrypted by the client [3], so the user is not required to trust the
> server.)
>
> Regards,
> David
>
> P.S. If anyone knows of a direct equivalent without these
> complications, I'd love to hear about it!
>
> [1]: https://github.com/bitwarden/browser
> [2]: https://github.com/bitwarden/core
> [3]: https://help.bitwarden.com/article/can-bitwarden-see-my-passwords/

Do we have a policy about software which depends on service as a
software substitute on the directory? I'm not sure.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF