Re: [directory-discuss] guix tags that could be automatically extracted

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] guix tags that could be automatically extracted
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 08:21:43 +0200

Quiliro,

On 16/07/17 03:35, Quiliro Ordonez Baca wrote:
> Using:
> 'guix package --show=emacs'
> for example, it is possible to get a lot of information from a
> package. It could be used to include in the Directory. Or it could be
> the other way around: guix could extract information from the Directory
> in order to define packages.

This might make an interesting option to ‘guix import’, if only to give
packagers something to start with. I'm not sure if it would result in
enough useful hits to make it worthwhile. On the other hand, there's
only one way to find out.

[I've sent this same reply to guix-devel, separately. Some people don't
like cross-posting.]

I'll paste what I wrote in #guix, though:

  “I wonder what the copyright situation would be for that. If the
   descriptions are copyrightable, the individual contributors retain
   their copyright. On the other hand, the vast majority of
   descriptions are straight from the home page, Wikipedia, or both.”

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but assume this would apply in
both directions.

> Although it would be easier the former way.

From my limited experience with MediaWiki, I'd bet the opposite. I know
there's a machine-readable dump of the Directory database somewhere,
that's updated at least semi-regularly. I don't know if it's
comprehensive. The directory-discuss archives might.

Kind regards,

T G-R