Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 18:24:24 -0600

Svetlana Tkachenko wrote:
In my opinion, yes, it would. However, if that free software code or
documentation is modified, it may start to qualify.

Are you referring to the FSF free distro guidelines language which says all the documentation in a free system distribution "must take care not to recommend nonfree software"?

If so, I think there's a difference between that and what is being discussed as "Bait and surrender" software. The latter is free software that is merely not as powerful as its non-free variant. There's nothing unethical about being less capable, but it is unethical to restrict users from running, sharing, and modifying the program.

Perhaps I don't understand the point of this free software directory: Is it the point of this free software directory to only list programs that could be part of an FSF-approved free distribution?

I took this directory to be useful for all free software users. I didn't think the goal was to point only to those programs that could be part of an FSF-approved free distro.

This is correct, but often needs substantial amount of effort.

To be clear, I didn't say "Should one want to, one could improve the free variant to the point where it satisfies needs as well as the proprietary variant." to suggest that job performance should be a factor in whether the program gets a listing in this directory. I mentioned it because free software improvement is always a possibility by anyone (even privately to meet their own needs). How much effort is needed strikes me as a completely orthogonal issue to whether I'd have permission to do make the improvements.

I'd like a directory that tells me about all published free software, informs me which programs are known to be superseded by another free program, lists free programs that are long out-of-date (with some clear indication on how long that is), and contains reviews by people willing to explain their perspective with details (not terse "It's great!" or "It stinks!" opinions or their iconic equivalents).

Tagging programs for easy searching (e.g., show me spreadsheet and database programs which have GUI and CLIs) strikes me as a great idea, so I'm fine with a tag that lists free programs we're discussing as "Bait and surrender" free programs (or whatever the replacement language will be).