Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] 'Bait and surrender'
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2016 17:00:10 -0500

David Hedlund <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman said this regarding 'Bait and surrender' at
> https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Free_Software_Directory:Antifeatures:
>
> The name feels too harsh for the case where the free version is actually
> useful.
>
> I think more change is needed.  Can the people in directory-discuss
> please talk about how to deal with then category now called "Bait and
> Surrender"?

In general, can we use more approachable / less aggressive language? The
FSD is intended (not exclusively, but significantly) to reach audiences
who are unfamiliar with free software. We need to be mindful of our
audience.

This doesn't mean we refrain from making our position clear -- but using
terms like "betrayal" "bait" "surrender" isn't necessary to make our
position clear.

Can we brainstorm other language?

-john

GPG Key: A462 6CBA FF37 6039 D2D7 5544 97BA 9CE7 61A0 963B
http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.