Re: [directory-discuss] Review queue email (was: Re: Tor Browser: Should

From: Greg Rundlett (freephile)
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Review queue email (was: Re: Tor Browser: Should we approve it soon?)
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 08:36:15 -0400

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Ian Kelling <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016, at 11:52 PM, Ian Kelling wrote:
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016, at 09:16 AM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:

That said, there are currently 384 unapproved pages [1].  This backlog seems to me to be very detrimental to the purpose of the directory.  The directory should be _the_  definitive and go-to source for finding free software applications.

I agree. I recently became an admin and started reviewing entries.
I'm going to make an effort to remove the backlog. 379 right now,
lets see what it's at next time this week. I'm about to put a few hours
on it.

Well, we are down to 338 now. So I approved 41. I found about
8 pages which I created a talk page describing licensing issues
preventing it's approval and contacted the devs.

After doing all that, I don't feel as bad about the unapproved pages,
a lot of them are a bit obscure, and generally bare bones entries.
I scanned the list for software I'd heard about and approved a few
of those.

I will keep working on it and review them all.

In the end, there is going to be 50 or more with talk pages and
licensing issues waiting to be resolved, so we are going to
need a new list of unapproved pages without a talk page.

In case any admin wants to help, my strategy for approving is to find &
download the source code, check the license (especially,
check for gpl "or later" in the headers), look over the entry
and any links, approve it.

There are some which are just redirects, so I edit a
url like this
then approve that page.

Thanks Ian!!  That's great!