[directory-discuss] Chrome Web Store missing extension License

From: David Englund/Hedlund
Subject: [directory-discuss] Chrome Web Store missing extension License
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 09:33:15 +0200

Chrome Web Store is the official Chrome web browser website for supported exentions. However, it can also be used to install extensions to the free variants of Chrome known as Chromium and Iridium (built on Chromium + improved privacy).

Iridium (unstable) can be installed from: https://launchpad.net/~strukturag/+archive/ubuntu/iridium-unstable. Iridiums extension directory is located in ~/.config/iridium/Default/Extensions/.

However, Chrome Web Store do not show the license for the extensions which makes it hard to verify which extensions that are free or not. You have to install the extension and manually look into the source code of each files in the extension directory.

I suggest that the FSF contact Google (https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrome/business/devices/contact.html) and ask them to add "License(s)" to the default text to the extensions in Chrome Web Store so we can build a verified free repository in the FSD.