Re: [directory-discuss] Please add "Runs-on:.. ReactOS"

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Please add "Runs-on:.. ReactOS"
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:58:46 -0400

On 06/24/2015 02:27 PM, David Englund/Hedlund wrote:
> I totally agree with Svetlana that ReactOS shoul be on the OS list.

A lot more people use Windows or Mac OS X than who use GNU/Linux. So
when we let people know about some free software they can use on Windows
or Mac OS X, we do so, because when they do make the switch to running
GNU/Linux, they can continue using the same free software they were
running on Windows or Mac. Our promotion of these free software programs
on those nonfree operating systems is unlikely to promote or encourage
the use of those nonfree operating systems in any meaningful way.

Far fewer people use ReactOS than use GNU/Linux. By letting people know
what free programs they can use on ReactOS we are doing more to promote
the use of ReactOS than we are to encourage the use of free software. We
don't want to encourage the use of ReactOS for the reasons stated here,
<https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#ReactOS>:

"ReactOS is meant as a free binary compatible replacement for Windows.
Allowing people to continue using the proprietary software and drivers
meant for Windows is one of the stated goals of the project."

Therefore, I don't think we should add ReactOS to the list of runs-on
properties.

--
Joshua Gay
Licensing & Compliance Manager  <http://www.fsf.org/licensing>