Re: [directory-discuss] Are "community editions" acceptable entries?

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Are "community editions" acceptable entries?
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 15:01:56 -0500

On 12/12/2014 01:15 PM, Michał Masłowski wrote:
> A sad thing: we should check all AGPL-licensed non-GNU software on the
> directory if their links to proprietary enterprise editions are
> sufficiently hidden.

The links to the proprietary/enterprise editions do not need to be
"hidden," per se. The website we link people to needs to make a
reasonable effort at making sure a user seeking the free software
version can and will find it and that they will not be confused which is
the proprietary version and which is the free software version.

For example, I think the ownCloud Community Edition
(http://owncloud.org/) does a pretty good job of directing users to the
free software version and not creating confusion about it versus the
ownCloud Enterprise Edition. They have distinct names for each program
and the actual download links on the Community Edition are not
intermixed with download links for the Enterprise Edition, which are all
on their own separate site.

I will be updating the entry for ownCloud during today's Friday Free
Software Directory IRC meeting so that we could potentially use it as an
example of how to word other similar entries. One thing I am going to
make clear on the directory page for ownCloud is that it is the
"ownCloud Community Edition" and I will adding a warning to let users
know they should not download or use the "ownCloud Enterprise Edition".

--
Joshua Gay
Licensing & Compliance Manager  <http://www.fsf.org/licensing>