Re: [directory-discuss] Instaboings?

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Instaboings?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:21:21 -0400

(I'm just another contributor, not an FSF person)

> Is there an official list of known issues that would prevent an entry
> from being accepted into the FSD? I'm thinking something similar to
> F-Droid's antifeature list https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/Antifeatures
> (except FD antifeature doesn't necessarily mean exclusion).
>
> I'm aware that experienced moderators take care of this, but I'm
> wanting to avoid wasting my time and theirs by submitting obvious
> non-candidates. I'm more concerned about false positives than false
> negatives: I'm sure any great software I overlook will get submitted
> by someone else :)
>
> As far as I'm aware basic requirements are:
>
> * Must have a FSF-approved license

I look for a license which is listed in one of these two:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

...and of course nothing which is listed or described here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#NonFreeSoftwareLicenses

> * Must run on GNU/Linux (may also run on Windows/Mac/Android)

I can imagine exceptions to that rule. For instance, a piece of software
whose sole purpose is to install free software, or boot into a free
distro, from proprietary operating systems may not have an equivalent
which runs on a GNU system because that wouldn't make sense.

> - including Replicant? is inclusion in F-Droid a good sign of this?

Including replicant makes sense, after all the FSF officially supports
the platform
(https://crm.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=19)

> And some basic instaboings are:
>
> * Primary purpose is interaction with/migration to non-free system
> (e.g. "An LGPL library for interacting with the Walled Garden social
> network")

> * Includes/recommends non-free software (e.g. "See our store to
> download some non-free add-ons")

definitely

> * "Community editions" with non-free licenses (typically restricting
> you from replicating features in the non-free edition)

Yes, especially those who distribute free software versions which are
purposefully and artificially inferior to the proprietary offerings;
that just sends the message that free software is inferior.

> Queries I have are:
>
> * "Community editions" with truly free licenses (e.g. PyCharm)

see above

> * Network applications with non-free editions (e.g. GitLab)
> * Software libraries - is FSD focused on applications?

libraries should be included