Re: [directory-discuss] Download taxonomy

From: Joshua Gay
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] Download taxonomy
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:20:24 -0400

Dear Gias,

> Is there anyway to download the taxonomy list from the Free Software
> Directory database for an academic research project?

Yes, it is possible to download the taxonomy list from the FSD. Are you
looking for the structural elements only for a given entry in the FSD,
or are you looking to download the complete data set (semantic
properties + their values)?

Also, it is important to note that the complete ontology used on the FSD
extends beyond the semantic data for entries alone, we also have
semantic properties and values that support the curation of the FSD. Are
you also looking for that information?

Lastly, there is no simple way at this point in time to export the
descriptions of semantic properties. For example, I might have a
property called "License info", but, the description of what license
info means, if it exists on the page that defines this Property will not
be part of an RDF or JSON formatted export at this time.

The current exports from the directory can be found here:

http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/directory/

There used to be a daily script that ran that would generate, on a daily
basis, a new directory.xml. This got turned off and we forgot to turn it
back on. I have sent a request to have this script turned back on, so if
you check back by next week you should hopefully find a directory.xml
file that has a more recent date.

Best,

Josh

--