dfey-general-discuss

Re: [sf-uk-discuss] Fwd: [Dfey-general-discuss] Remember *that* meeting?

From: Joe O'Dell
Subject: Re: [sf-uk-discuss] Fwd: [Dfey-general-discuss] Remember *that* meeting?....
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:19:07 +0100

Hello Nigel,

> I recommend Debian-edu/Skolelinux. I did a complete overhaul with it 4
> or 5 yrs ago. It seems largely ignored in English-speaking countries,
> and I don't know why. It provides a complete school network - main
> server, ltsp servers (thin or fat clients), desktops.

I have personally never heard of it before, and looking at it know it does seem
a good distribution.
However, it is the fact that it is ignored in english-speaking countries that
worries me a little, as these schools want support for their network, and if
no-one has heard of it, then they are not going to want to install it on their
network.
And support is usually contracted to outside organisations, either that or they
have 2 MS Certified Technicians.

> Perhaps stick to school distros? (Edubntu, Debian-edu, Karoshi, and
> the openDisc)

I would recommend the school distros for desktop and mobile computers, however
it would be necessary to include a server version of software as well.

> I recommend Untangle over Smoothwall free.

Ah, I had almost forgotten about Untangle. Yes, that does seem a good idea, and
I shall definitely try and include some media of that in the pack.

> Could you consider not using Quark, or at least exporting to some
> format that we would be able to edit with Scribus, then it could be
> tailored for use in different situations?

If I can find a good alternative to Quark, then yes I would be happy to use it.
However, I have yet to find a good alternative that I can use - I can, however,
export to EPS, which I believe is editable in Scribus.
Is that suitable for you?

> I am linking to a guide I wrote for parents in 2008, in case it has
> anything useful.

> http://www.hiroshima-is.ac.jp/news/media/blogs/infotech/ITguidelines2008.pdf

The guide is very useful for parents - perhaps it would be useful also creating
a similar guide that would be produced in tandem with this guide, explaining
FOSS to parents? could just be a leaflet that was emailed to schools to
distribute to parents.

Thanks

Joe
Joe O'Dell

GreenerClassrooms Project Co-Ordinator
http://www.greenerclassrooms.org.uk

Fedora Ambassador & Contributor (FreeMedia)
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ascenseur

bedsLUG Co-Ordinator
beds.lug.org.uk

DFEY Member (SouthEast)