dfey-general-discuss

Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Schools?

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Re: [Dfey-general-discuss] Schools?
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 10:27:37 +0100

On 02/08/10 23:55, Tim Dobson wrote:
> Sam Smith, from Rewired State just "braindumped" this out:
>
> http://www.disruptiveproactivity.com/2010/08/schools/
>
> thoughts...?

Interesting idea,  If we can engage people in schools who may other wise
fail or drop out then that would be a good thing,  One of the DFEY is
the range of conversations that go on, on the irc channel,  which I am
sure many teachers would not approve of,

talks on civil disobedience, is stated as one example thing is this can
be perceived in many different ways, from low level to full level
violent protest.

I remember a lot of the young people at the secondary school I worked at
going out on strike after we invaded iraq,  they were really against the
war and the invasion as they said it was illigal.  the school dismissed
the protest and the argument as nonsense. ( i however was on the side of
the young people) However other schools took advantage of the same level
of feeling in young people and arranged lessons / debates around the
subject.  I just wondered what those teachers would no say if those
young people reminded them of that day,  the teachers reaction,  know
that we know saddam had no WMD's and the fact the whole war was based on
lies and dodgy evidence etc.

Seems that the teachers were proven wrong now we now more about what was
actually in iraq, (not much)

"A site which encourages kids to engage, learn more about the crazy
diversity of what they’re interested in, and basically do an end-run
around bits of the school system that are demotivating for certain
people at certain times."

Schools like to be in control, and protect children from harm they have
a duty,  if a young person says he / she is talking to another young /
person,  on some forum, chatroom or some other medium,  the schools
can't take the risk, the are talking to someone who isn't who they say
they are.  What happens out side the school is more the responsibility
of parents, all schools can really do is try and educate young people.

I think a lot of children / young people would really appreciate a
chance to talk about subjects they are interested in like this and
enguage with people who understand the subject, even if it is
programming between friends, posting to forums on the net means you can
ask questions and get answers and your age does not come in to it,
something that people need to realise but getting round the paranoia of
online chat could be difficult.

I have probably got the wrong end of the stick over this.

Good luck its a good idea,

Paul

--
Next Paignton meeting - Saturday 7th August 2010 - 3pm Lighthouse, Paignton,
Next Holsworthy Meeting -  Saturday 21st August @ The White Hart,

Thursday 22nd Tea Party 2pm - 5pm
Saturday 31st Salsa Night 8pm - 12:30
please e-mail address@hidden for more details.

SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2010
SATURDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2010  - LIGHTHOUSE, PAIGNTON