dev-serveez

Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: Re: [dev-serveez] experience with "icecast" server
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 16:11:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 2 Jun 2002, Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob wrote:

hello again!

> > Also I do not know whether an mp3 streamer
> > like icecast is meant to touch a given mp3 file or not.

> i am almost sure about that. the id3 tag is not part of the mpg stream. it
> has to remove, i'd say. but one could check the icecast spec/source :-)

i found evidince of that in the libshout documentation. libshout is a
library that prepares data and stuffs it into an icecast server. the
icecast server performs the broadcasting [only].

here is the doc entry point:
http://developer.icecast.org/libshout/doc/

and here is a function that does what serveez is missing:
http://developer.icecast.org/libshout/doc/shout_send_data.html
note the comment on id3 tags.

so... it's not that easy at all. we could link against libshout or copy
code from them to build up good audio streams but i am not sure if that is
worth the effort. eventually serveez would only replace the networking
core of icecast...

Bye,
    Raimi

--