dev-serveez

[dev-serveez] TCP_NODELAY or "Mystery revealed"

From: Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob
Subject: [dev-serveez] TCP_NODELAY or "Mystery revealed"
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 18:39:37 +0100 (CET)

hi all!

We just solved the mystery of the 0%-CPU-slow guile. as we expected it was
all TCP's fault :). After setting the TCP_NODELAY flag for the tcp stream
all the small packets went through as fast as possible.

the profiling data of serveez/guile was the same as yesterday. guile
spends most of the time in GC and the evaluation of the mandelbrot
formula. serveez is hardly to be seen.

we had some more funny tests:

TCP with TCP_NODELAY set is as fast as UDP (in terms of latency) but tcp
needs about 1/3 more of network bandwidth.

with slight modifications also UDP and ICMP transport is possible. works
like a charme. no increase of mandelbrot-number throughput, though. (no
suprise).

to point that out again: we never really thought guile had "sleep()"s
somewhere; sorry guys :-).

Bye,
    Ela & Raimi

--