Re: Pallettes and Assign Instruments

From: Joe Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Pallettes and Assign Instruments
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 16:37:50 +0000

Hi Richard,
I suppose I am used to having several window tabs open in applications and that they stay open but not on top when I temporarily use another application. You are right; I'd forgotten that you dock a window by right-clicking one of its buttons and then choosing edit palette. That is working fine now, and I don't then have the problem when the palette is floating: that when I picked the Scheme Window from the combined icon on the Windows TaskBar it closed immediately, and would only stay open if the floating palette was first closed. Which made adding several similar buttons to the palette cumbersome. However that is no longer a problem.

I do have a problem with assigning instruments to staffs with a melody line and already extant verses. If you assign an instrument to such a staff the verses all disappear and have to be reinstated. This may be deliberate, but I only wanted to make it a Flute temporarily to produce a distinguishable midi line over chords (default piano) and make the melody line stand out. It also happens if you assign a guitar to the line (and it is possible to sing and play at the same time). :-)

Is it possible to reduce the volume of one stave compared to another; the midi of the piano staff is rather dominant and of course pp and ff don't filter through to midi.

with best wishes
Joe