Re: Printing Score

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Printing Score
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 09:03:54 +0000

On Fri, 2020-12-11 at 19:21 +0000, Harriman Martin wrote:
> I tried both your and Joe's suggestions, but I still couldn't get it
> to work.  I looked at the Advanced part of the Staff Properties
> Editor and didn't see anything that stood out as different between
> the Flute and Cello parts which do repeat on all lines of the score
> and the Trumpet and Vocals which do not. I'm attaching the denemo
> project file for you to look at if you can. I really appreciate it.

This explains it: you have custom layouts created, which you perhaps
created in an attempt to typeset the individual parts.
A custom layout provides a way of taking "the music" (that is the
staffs with their notes etc as you see them in the Denemo Display) and
customising how it should be typeset: what titles it should have, which
movements are included, which parts, what their instrument names are,
anything, indeed that is not the stuff that is displayed by Denemo on
the staffs in the Denemo Display window.
The downside of a custom layout is that if you change anything about
the score that is not "the music" that change will not be reflected in
the typesetting of the custom layout. So a custom layout should only be
created at the very end, and if you find you have to change something
other than the details of the music you need to delete your custom
layout.
But all this is only needed for elaborate things - simple tasks like
printing out parts don't require custom layouts, the full score, the
parts, a single movement, all these are standard layouts that are
created on the fly when you ask for a typeset.

Now what you may want is to make the short instrument name conditional
- as you may want to ignore it for typesetting the part. You can either
set it as "Only for Default Layout" if that is the only case where it
is needed or set it as "Ignore for" the part you where you have the
cursor.

Testing this out, I see that when you create the short instrument name
it does not recall the current value for you to alter (which it should
to be kind to you) and it does not offer to make it conditional (which
it should as that would be usually wanted). So you have to get up the
Staff Properties Editor, find the Short Instrument Name directive and
click Conditional there.

I notice also that you have set the two cello parts to have the same
part name and different sub-part names - a little sophistication which
means that the two cello parts are printed together when you request
"Part" in the Print View window. If you want them separate you would
give them different part names (or create custom layouts...).

HTH

Richard