Re: Denemo freezes my Plasma 5.8 desktop manager.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Denemo freezes my Plasma 5.8 desktop manager.
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 14:22:58 +0000

On Sun, 2020-11-08 at 06:51 -0500, Dirk Mittler wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have just started experimenting with Denemo, and have custom-
> compiled
> version 2.4. My desktop manager is Plasma 5.8 .
>
> The initial problem that I'm experiencing is, that after I've
> imported a
> somewhat complicated MIDI file,

The MIDI import is quite limited :(

>  the Lilypond window shows that it could
> not typeset the score. After that, the music will only play, with
> certain tracks out-of-sync.
>
> It does not cause much concern by itself, if the document gets
> corrupted
> like that, and if to restart the application just resets the
> problem.
> But in fact, what really makes this software dangerous for me is
> that,
> once the Denemo session is corrupted, my desktop manager forever
> runs
> the 'plasmashell' process, and no more programs, applications, or
> whatever can be run from within the graphical session.

Is this freezing of the desktop only happening after trying MIDI
import?

> In this situation, I need to open a terminal session, and run
> 'reboot'
> as root, to get back use of my computer.

Better than that, in a terminal run
ps aux | grep denemo

and thereby find the pid of the denemo process that has frozen - the
number in the second column. With this you can kill it off via

kill -9 pid

where pid is the number.

Then you can return to your window session and the desktop will be
unfrozen. (On Debian you can get a terminal via Ctrl-Alt-Fn5 and you
can return via Ctrl-Alt-Fn7).

> Hoping to make the program more stable, I've tried recompiling it
> with:
>
> ./configure --enable-gtk3

that's good - gtk2 hasn't been used much recently

> However, while doing that causes prettier windows, it still does not
> make the session stable, nor friendly with Plasma 5.8 .

Is there something in particular that reliably triggers the freezing of
the desktop? You could run denemo from gdb and examine where it has got
to when it freezes ...