[bug #59417] Please export MusicXML

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [bug #59417] Please export MusicXML
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 14:33:53 -0500 (EST)

Update of bug #59417 (project denemo):

Follow-up Comment #1:

>Without an ability to export MusicXML, I have no way to share and collaborate
with my friends using Sibelius and Finale.

I wonder what "share and collaborate" you have in mind... consider these:

1) You may want someone to be able to attach comments and sugestions to
places in your score
2) You may want someone to check over and correct basic things (such as the
pitch of a note) by importing it into
their favored program using its change method and exporting it as MusicXML
3) You may want someone to change which notes are beamed together or the shape
of a slur by the same route

These three scenarios have wildly different likelihoods of ever becoming
possible. The first is actually
available for Denemo - you can send a PDF created with Denemo and receive back
the same PDF annotated with PDF annotations, open that in
Denemo and click on the annotation to be taken to the point in the Denemo
score which the annotation is attached to.
The second would be not difficult - it would be fairly easy to output MusicXML
description from a Denemo score to describe
all the basic things about the score.
The third is not imaginable - I presume programs like Sibelius and Finale
couldn't import a detailed description of the shape
of a slur that LilyPond had generated and they certainly don't export such a
description of the slurs that they create.

The reason MusicXML export from Denemo has never been tackled is partly
because it would make more sense to have a LilyPond to MusicXML conversion
program -
then Denemo would be able to use it to provide MusicXML export. I noticed that
there was a GSOC project to create one five years
ago which but the fact that there is nothing actually complete makes me
pessimistic that it will ever happen.

>I really want to use and master features like microphone-pitch-entry.

I developed that feature many years ago, and left it when I got a MIDI
keyboard - the microphone would
pick up odd noises and so enter garbage, and repairing mistakes would undo all
the time saved. The only way
I found to use it effectively was with direct input via an audio signal (I was
using an electronic keyboard
that just had audio output).

>Keyboard shortcuts are poorly documented, and too easy to accidentally
re-assign.

you could only accidentally reassign if you were using the menus *and* hit a
key at the same time *and* the shortcut was not already in use.
If you did that you could press the unwanted shortcut and then the command
executed would show at the bottom left with a "Help" button which
would take you to the Command Center on that command where there is a delete
button to delete the shortcut.

>Tiny articulations, tremolos, and even begin/end crescendos or slurs are not
easily readable at normal screen resolution

Ctrl-mouse-wheel zooms the score - the score will remember your chosen zoom -
if you make a default template with that zoom chosen then you can use Ctrl-N
to load it
every time. I use a larger size (14) than the default for the menus etc as
well - you set that in the preferences.

None of that matters however if what you need is to swap scores back and forth
between programs picking up stylistic changes.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59417>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/