Re: Fwd: support for quarter tones?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Fwd: support for quarter tones?
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 09:57:08 +0100

On Sun, 2020-10-04 at 16:30 -0400, Chekad Sarami wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if Denemo is capable of typesetting quarter tones?

The short answer is no. However, from the way you ask the question I
think you may not realize that Denemo does not do typesetting, LilyPond
does and it *is* capable of doing that. And, Denemo can tell LilyPond
to do anything - attached is a most primitive example of a Denemo score
telling LilyPond to typeset a quarter tone. You could even use this for
a score that had just an occasional quarter tone notated, though even
then you would probably want to modify what Denemo displayed in its
main display window where you edit the score.

> What about playback?

Again, Denemo can emit any required MIDI signals - in the File->Open-
>Open Example menu you can find a Denemo score that changes the tuning
(i.e. the temperament) of the notes half-way through the piece. The
same MIDI commands could be used to achieve quarter tones (very
primitive, as I don't think the designers of MIDI ever thought quarter
tones worth investing in...).

So, no, unless you want to spend time creating a whole set of commands
to insert note objects with the required LilyPond syntax and the
required MIDI signals and the desired display appearance - quite do-
able by a determined Denemo user but a lot of work. If you're that
person you are welcome to ask for guidance!