Re: rit

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: rit
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 09:34:16 +0000

On Mon, 2020-02-17 at 21:04 -0500, aaron mehl wrote:
> Hi I am using denemo and I want to know if there is a way to add a
> rit to a score in denemo and if so how??

If by "add a rit" you mean place the text "rit." above/below/flush-
left/flush-right/centered a note/chord/rest then, yes, you can place
any text using the

Command: Multi-line Text and Music
Attaches multi-line text which can include music snippets, transposing
note/chord names, fret-diagrams, with control over bold, italic font
size and more. Double quotes and {} must be paired - check with the
Preview button before okaying the markup. Newlines are triggered by the
paragraph sign.

Location: Object Menu ▶ Notes/Rests ▶ Markings ▶ Text/Symbol
Internal Name: AttachedText

As you can see, that command allows much more than just a simple word
attached to a note.
You can also create the text unattached to a nearby note using

Command: Multi-line Text and Music
Inserts multi-line text object which can include music snippets, Fret
Diagrams and Note Names/Chord Symbols. LilyPond Markup can be used and
a preview button is available to check the syntax.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives ▶ Markings ▶ Text/Symbol
Internal Name: MultiLineTextAnnotation

If you want a "Mark" (ie text appears once for all staffs at the top)
then use:

Command: Add Mark (Text/Rehearsal/Book)
Inserts a Mark in the score at the cursor. Marks can be placed in each
part and will appear only once (above the top part) in the score
(provided they occur at the same moment in each part and are
identical). Any size, font, effect can be chosen. A preview button
allows you to check the appearance/syntax used. The text position can
be dragged in the print view if needed. If there is any slight
difference in the text of multiple text marks at the same moment a
warning will be given on manually typesetting the score, to avoid this
copy and paste or clone the mark you want to place in each part.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Directives ▶ Markings
Internal Name: CustomRehearsalMark

If you want the rit to span several notes you need to use

Command: Text Span Start
Starts text which spans several notes, e.g. rallentando poco a poco.
Terminate with Stop Text Span command.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Notes/Rests ▶ Markings ▶ Text/Symbol ▶ Spanning
Internal Name: TextSpanStart

and

Command: Text Span Stop
Stops the spanning text started earlier.
Location: Object Menu ▶ Notes/Rests ▶ Markings ▶ Text/Symbol ▶ Spanning
Internal Name: TextSpanStop

HTH