Re: resizing the virtual MIDI keyboard

From: Bric
Subject: Re: resizing the virtual MIDI keyboard
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 05:24:11 -0500 (EST)

> On February 10, 2020 at 4:01 AM Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> On Sun, 2020-02-09 at 13:38 -0500, Bric wrote:
> > > The duration change is well handled by putting in multiple
> > > durations -
> > > a whole bar, line or movement before starting to play on the MIDI
> > > keyboard. The numeric keypad is set up so that slurs can be added
> > > without extra keypresses when entering the durations and ties
> > > require
> > > only one keypress on the tied note. For my work I also insert
> > > dynamics
> > > and ornaments as I enter the durations - I make sure these require
> > > only
> > > key strokes to do. Then I can start playing the pitches and the
> > > cursor
> > > automatically goes back to where I started entering durations.
> > > I noticed some pitch-spelling errors in the Denemo file you sent -
> > > Eb
> > > for D# etc, which is a hazard if you are playing the notes on a
> > > MIDI
> > > keyboard, but for tonal music this is mitigated by sounding
> > > augmented
> > > and diminished intervals on a different channel.
> > >

> > The denemo + lilypond engraving handles enharmonic accidentals much
> > more intelligently, than, say, MuseScore, or even Rosegarden.
> > (Although Rosegarden has the convenient command "re-spell as
> > [sharp|flat]"). MuseScore is sloppy, spelling what should be flats as
> > sharps, etc., with the little bit of tinkering i've done with it.
> >
> > I don't fully understand your denemo input process you describe
> > above. You input a sequence of just durations somehow, ahead of
> > playing a midi keyboard,
> yes - see
>
> https://vimeo.com/62188678

Didn't know about that feature (and yet it's probably one of denemo's most
powerful ones?). I've transcribed many scores by just striking the "A" through
"G" keys, and switching durations using numeric keys.  I've considered that a
unique power denemo provides, along with the configurable keyboard shortcuts
for a thousand notation elements...  The above feature puts the whole process
on steroids. (What is the feature's name?)