Omission Criteria - a lightweight alternative to Score Layouts

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Omission Criteria - a lightweight alternative to Score Layouts
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2019 10:14:23 +0000

I've been working on scores treble recorder adapted from originals for
transverse flute, usually by transposing up a minor third. I need to
typeset both versions so the simplest way is to print out one the
invoke the transpose command and print out the other. If there are
corrections to be made later then I have to repeat the sequence. This
becomes more tedious if there are other changes (e.g. instrument name)
to be made for the two editions.
The standard way around this in Denemo is to create score layouts for
the different versions, which is a relatively heavy-weight procedure.
So I thought that it would be good to be able to set up a flag in the
Print View to set up for typesetting one or other of the two types of
score. By marking the relevant transpose directive with this flag the
typesetter would know to ignore the directive when that flag is set.
This is quite quick to do - attached is my template for my use-case -
and the flag can be set/unset from a script using (d-SetOmitCriterion
<name of criterion>). This could be used, for example, for non-
interactive printing of a complete set of transposed/untransposed full
score and parts.

I've implemented this now and last night's build has this feature.
I've added this to the manual:

Omission Criteria are a sort of lightweight easy-to-use alternative to
full-scale Score Layouts. So, for example, if you want to generate
score and parts for both a transposed and an un-transposed version of
your score you can create an omission criterion (say, “untransposed”)
and set it on the Denemo Directive(s) that control the transposition of
the score. Then you only have to turn the omission criterion on or off
in the Print View and the typesetting switches between versions. If the
instrument names should change as well then you can duplicate the
instrument name directive in the Staff Editor and set the omission
criterion on the second of those so that it is not used when the score
is untransposed.

You create omission criterion names in the Print View using the button
labelled “No Omission Criterion Set” and apply them to directives using
the Conditional Directive commands. For standalone directives the
Conditional Directive commands are in the Directives menu and in the
Object Editor, for score, movement, staff etc directives you use
Conditional button on the Directive in the respective editor (Score
Editor, Movement Editor, Staff Editor etc).