Re: [Denemo-devel] Emailing: TR_HolyHolyRMarr.zip

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Emailing: TR_HolyHolyRMarr.zip
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 08:50:19 +0100

On Sun, 2019-09-29 at 21:40 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Richard,
> I unzipped the file I sent previously and put it into the latest
> version of denemo. It Typesets with the ragged last line of both
> movements.
> Yes I get the error in Bar 8, and then further ones.
> Most are of the Time Signature wrong type;
No, once you have saved and reloaded the file there should be no
spurious errors. The bug I have logged is the one you found: when first
creating a change of time signature by splitting a bar and inserting
the right time signature the other bar split off is still cached as
being in the wrong "prevailing time signature". The workaround,
documented in my bug report is to save and reload. The bug would only
affect commands that enquire for the prevailing time signature in the
affected bar - it still displays ok and typesets ok.

>  you seem to have documented a bug about this. Thanks.
>
> Two are due to unmatched final bars. I did not notice them on the
> previous version of this file, without Clarinet Staves, because it,
> and the others, generally Typeset. But they can be cleared by putting
> the requisite rests into the Chord Staff.
> It seems that in music where I had put the Chords into the Chord
> Staff the addition of a Directive: \override ChordName.font-size = #-
> 1
> no error is reported. Where I had been lazy and left out the Chords
> (which were largely for my convenience) the additional Directive
> trips an unmatched final bar error on Typeset. Sometimes.
> I'll have to use CheckScore a bit more often; To be honest I had
> found it pretty useless as it often reported no error in a score that
> wouldn't Typeset
It is only checking the "music" - that is the stuff that you can see in
the staffs in the display. It doesn't check anything to do with the
score layout - the titles, special treatment of the staffs etc. I, too,
thought the ragged left effect would be due to some setting at the
score or movement level, but I should have run Check Score first as the
problem was just that the staffs were of different lengths, with some
(the Chords) not showing anything to give the game away. (Usually you
can see different duration staffs on the typeset).

>  and I had to Export to Lilypond and look at the error log. Perhaps
> you have improved it recently.

No, it's just that usually the errors you find are not in the music but
in the score layout, mirroring staffs and applying different
transpositions and so on, all relatively unexplored territory...