Re: [Denemo-devel] PNG selection export (was Re: Beginner questions (cro

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] PNG selection export (was Re: Beginner questions (cross-staff, PNG selection export, feathered beams, batch export, Print View behaviour))
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 09:15:45 +0100

On Fri, 2019-08-16 at 09:47 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 12:59, Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> wrote:

> > > Hi, I tried but it doesn't work, same result as before. I tried
> > > 'open', 'open -a PATH/TO/Preview'. Here the
> > > man page for 'open'
> > > https://ss64.com/osx/open.html. In the preferences I also setup
> > > an
> > > internet browser ('PATH/TO/Safari) and I found a problem: Safari
> > > correctly opens, but the address to the file (the help file in
> > > this
> > > case) is written as:
> > > file:///file:/Applications/Denemo.app/Contents/Resources/share/de
> > > nemo
> > > /manual/denemo-manual.html
> > > with the double 'file' bit at the beginning. Maybe related with
> > > the
> > > problem with Preview?
> >
> > Well, this sounds like it is not difficult to fix: Denemo is
> > successfully launching the executable program, but the programs
> > launched are failing to pick up and use the parameter
> > appropriately. In
> > the case of Safari it is taking the parameter to be a file name and
> > prefixing file:/// to it while how the "open" thing is failing is
> > less
> > clear, as the man page you quote indicates that calling it with a
> > pdf
> > filename as parameter should work. Setting the field to 'open -a
> > PATH/TO/Preview' would *not* work, as it would try to execute a
> > program
> > named 'open -a PATH/TO/Preview' which doesn't exist.
> > So the easy fix is to create a script that calls the program you
> > want
> > to call with the correct parameter. On Unix you would write a file
> > containing something like
> >
> > 8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8
> > ><
> > #!/bin/bash
> >
> > echo Opening $1 as png using the command: open -a
> > /PATH/TO/Preview $1
> >
> > open -a /PATH/TO/Preview $1
> >
> > 8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8
> > ><
> >
> > you would put this into a file, say myopen.sh and make it
> > executable
> > chmod a+x myopen.sh
> >
> > You could use any other scripting language to take the file name as
> > provided by Denemo and invoke your display program.
>
> Hi Richard,
> thank you, but unfortunately it didn't work. I get the same result as
> before (pop-up saying 'Your PNG file has now been created).

But the difference now is that you should get a message on the terminal
saying

Opening $1 as png using the command: open -a /PATH/TO/Preview $1

where $1 is replaced by the actual parameter it is receiving.
Indeed, as your first test, invoke myopen.sh directly from the command
line

/PATH/TO/myopen.sh mypicture.png

where mypicture.png is some .png image.

It should print

Opening mypicture.png as png using the command: open -a /PATH/TO/Preview
mypicture.png

(where, of course, /PATH/TO is not literal but means that you write the
path to the appropriate executable) and proceed to display your png.

Once you have an executable script that does display your png as you
want it then I can't imagine the circumstance where the executable
script is launched from within the Denemo process and fails (well, you
could have an out-of-memory error ...)

Once you have the echo message from the myopen.sh saying what the
command it is issuing is you can then check that the file does in fact
exist and is a .png image ... indeed you can simply repeat the command
that myopen.sh is telling you directly on the command line to check
that it is working. (Possible snags could include unusual characters in
the file name(*) - some operating systems have restrictions and some
characters such as spaces cause parsing problems).
HTH
Richard
(*) so test with a file named something simple, like "junk.denemo"