[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Denemo-devel] help for denemo
Re: [Denemo-devel] help for denemo
Mon, 24 Jun 2019 09:26:49 +0100
On Mon, 2019-06-24 at 08:56 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi Bill,
> Richard will doubtless answer, but presumably you have found the
> Command Center (under View) which opens a separate window where you
> can search for commands etc.
> I typed in Arpeggio and (on the fourth item) it found what you want,
> I imagine. plus previously, how to extend arpeggios across staffs and
> other stuff which is way beyond my competence!
> Good luck. It is a great piece of software.
> Joe Wilkinson
> On 23/06/2019 22:45, Bill Goodman wrote:
> > Hi, are there other help resources for Denemo besides your online
> > manual?
> > Your program seems great...once I.eventually find a solution to a
> > next problem,..
> > But I always feel as if the manual's not much help when
> > searching for a solution, and it's all trial and error.
> > My latest specific questions include:
> > - Is there an arpeggio symbol (i..e. the wavy line next to a
> > chord)?
> > - How can you detach the notes in the same apparent chord--if,
> > for example, one is dotted but the other is not dotted. The
> > dot/undot button seems to want to dot or undot both notes together
> > ..
This is one you can't solve by searching in the Command Center, as it
is a matter of overall design, not a single command. You have to think
of an "apparent chord" as being an example of polyphony - two voices
that have just "met" at some point having the same rhythm. Or in your
case, not quite the same rhythm (dotted and not dotted).
So what you need is to create an extra Voice - which can be empty in
most places if you only have occasional real polyphony - and fill in
the bar where the divergence occurs. You can either share out the chord
notes between the two voices you have or put non-printing rests in the
new voice until the chord where they diverge dotted-not-dotted and put
the differently dotted note in the other voice. You may want then to
use the "Differently Dotted Merge On" and off commands to make the
notes share the same stem (ie merged)
There is a lot more potential complexity to writing polyphonic music
but you may not come up against that - if you do, please ask for help.
The example (File->Open->Open Example->Keyboard Polyphony) shows some
of the things needed for a score that has five different rhythms at one
> > For some other problems I've figured out 'workarounds' but am
> > not sure if I've discovered the 'official' solution. (For
> > example, I couldn't find an instruction to add a natural
> > symbol.....but if a flat is expected by the key signature, then
> > clicking for a sharpening has that effect.
I'm not sure what "clicking for a sharpening effect" is! There commands
for Cautionary Accidental and Reminder Accidental
which are in the Notes/Rests->Append/Edit Note menu. As Joe says, the
Command Center is there to help get round the problem of the very large
number of features that a fully-featured music typesetter must have.
The only snag is you have to guess at the musical terms involved - in
this case the musical term "accidental", But given that you cannot find
a command because it seems to be lost amidst thousands of commands you
can be confident that it will be there somewhere... so you are welcome
(I've long wanted to add a "keywords" feature to the commands - each
command would have a set of "keywords" attached to it by a human editor
to cover the case where the name label or help text of a command
happens not to include a word someone might search for. But volunteers
to attach all the keywords are too thin on the ground, and life is too
short :( )
- [Denemo-devel] help for denemo, Bill Goodman, 2019/06/23
- Re: [Denemo-devel] help for denemo, Joe Wilkinson, 2019/06/24
- Re: [Denemo-devel] help for denemo,
Richard Shann <=
- Re: [Denemo-devel] help for denemo, Richard Shann, 2019/06/24
- Re: [Denemo-devel] help for denemo, Bill Goodman, 2019/06/24
- [Denemo-devel] Typesetting error re score with voices : help for denemo, Bill Goodman, 2019/06/24
- [Denemo-devel] P.S. Re: Typesetting error re score with voices : help for denemo, Bill Goodman, 2019/06/24
- Re: [Denemo-devel] P.S. Re: Typesetting error re score with voices : help for denemo, Richard Shann, 2019/06/25
- Message not available
- Re: [Denemo-devel] P.S. Re: Typesetting error re score with voices : help for denemo, Richard Shann, 2019/06/26
- Re: [Denemo-devel] P.S. Re: Typesetting error re score with voices : help for denemo, Bill Goodman, 2019/06/27
- [Denemo-devel] "Play an octave higher" notation, Bill Goodman, 2019/06/28
- Re: [Denemo-devel] "Play an octave higher" notation, Richard Shann, 2019/06/29
- Re: [Denemo-devel] "Play an octave higher" notation, Bill Goodman, 2019/06/29