Re: [Denemo-devel] Duplicating a Movement terminates early

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Duplicating a Movement terminates early
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2019 11:20:09 +0100

On Fri, 2019-04-05 at 18:51 +0100, Joe Wilkinson wrote:

> On 05/04/2019 10:03, Richard Shann wrote:
> > [...]
> > think you could, on the other hand, make all the staffs in the
> > second
> > movement be mirrors of the non-mirrored ones in the first movement,
> > which would be neater.
>
> I am not sure how to do this, other than by duplicating the Movement.
> There is no way in the Second movement of choosing a staff in the
> first movement; I assumed this is deliberate.

Yes, that's intentional. The graphical interface to substituting music
from other movements is via the Score Layout window - if you dig down
to the Voice level you see a button marked "Substitute" next to the
music in the voice - it substitutes the music from the voice holding
the cursor, and that can be in any movement. You could also do it in a
more low-level way by getting up the Voice properties of a mirrored
staff and the Advanced interface to the Substitute Music directive
where you see something like:

{ \clef treble    \time 4/4    \key c \major  \MvmntIVoiceI } \void

in the prefix field. Replacing MvmntIVoiceI with, e.g. MvmntIIVoiceIII
would replace the music with music from the second movement third
voice. (Numbers are in Roman Numerals because LilyPond syntax doesn't
allow digits in these names).

Having said all that, it would be neater to just have one movement and
customize the Score Layout to have two. You do this via Score Layout ->
Customize and then in the new customized layout you choose "Append
Current Movement" which then gives you a score with two identical
movements. Then, still using the Score Layout you select the second
movement and edit it as needed. For example if you wanted a different
transposition in one staff you would set a C-natural to C-natural
transposition on the staff, do the movement duplication in the Score
Layout window and then edit the transposition via the "Staff n Start"
button, which offers to let you edit the opening syntax for the n'th
staff - there you find \transpose c c and you can change that.

But you are getting close to simply (!) editing in the LilyPond window,
where (!) = understanding LilyPond syntax ...