[Denemo-devel] More flexible Scheme-scripted commands

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] More flexible Scheme-scripted commands
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 08:37:16 +0000

If you have ever found yourself creating a script to do a repetitive
task and found that at one point in it you want it to stop for a moment
and let you enter something (e.g. a note or a duration, ornament ...)
then I just noticed a very neat bit of Scheme that does just that:

((eval-string (d-GetCommand)))

if you place this in a script when it comes to evaluate it the script
waits for you to press a keyboard shortcut (that's the d-GetCommand
bit) and when you have it executes it and continues with the script.

In my case I was editing a long score which I had imported via SharpEye
and it had missed out all the grace notes. I turned on Check Pitches
and started playing through the score. Each time it stopped because of
a grace note I invoked a script that inserted the grace note - by
incorporating this line I was able to type the note name before it had
applied the slur and gone on to the next note. This way I get a really
smooth workflow.

d-GetCommand is for keyboard shortcuts, there is a way of intercepting
the MIDI keyboard too, but in this case I had switched to the PC
keyboard to invoke the script.