[Denemo-devel] Creating a catalog of all the scores you have written.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Creating a catalog of all the scores you have written.
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2018 09:59:32 +0000

Recently I was asked for pieces involving a certain combination of
instruments. I knew I had some, but as I have over a thousand Denemo
scores I realized I needed something more than just my memory to fish
them out.
So I wrote a script that goes through all the folders below a starting
folder opening the Denemo scores it finds and extracting title,
composer, score comment, instrument list and an incipit - that is the
opening music. When this is finished (it is very slow of course) it
creates a Denemo Score which typesets as an index of all the music it
found.

This script can now be run from the File->Indexing menu which also
includes commands to sort the index alphabetically by composer, filter
the list by instrument name and a more general "custom filter". This
last asks for a Scheme expression which it will evaluate for each score
to decide whether it should be in the index or not.
To give you an idea of what you get attached is a sample index, where I
have written a custom filter to get only those scores with three parts
with the second part being for Tenor.

The filtering out of particular scores is quite quick, as it does not
require searching the folders again, and the nice thing is that when
you have the index typeset in the Print View you can click on the score
you want and it will open in a new tab.

I've written this up in the Denemo Manual. I'm not sure if the indexing
can be done on Windows though :(