Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo causing session crash

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] denemo causing session crash
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 12:34:59 -0400 (EDT)

On April 8, 2018 at 12:47 PM Richard Shann wrote:

On Sun, 2018-04-08 at 07:15 -0400, Bric wrote:
On April 7, 2018 at 9:58 PM Bric wrote:

I occasionally experience a denemo crash on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
which crashes my entire session, ending with the Ubuntu user login
screen.
This has happened several times, when I am refreshing the "Typeset
Music" window, after some particular change. And today it happened
again after the pop-up dialog "Restart Subsystem?", to which I
answered "OK" and then got the crash. And then another crash
logout when I changed settings - unchecked "Spill notes to next
measure" and (i believe) clicked to refresh the Typeset Window.
After that it crashed again, when I (re)started denemo (after I
deleted the auto-saved document), before any user activity,

After that I logged back in, and it has run without crashing.

It might be tricky to capturing the crash/debug messages here (not
sure), since I get totally logged out, immediately (I could be
wrong)

Just thought I'd report it finally. This has been rare, such that
I kept ignoring it.

I am using Gnome metacity classic

Linux **** 4.4.0-112-generic #135-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 19 11:48:36
UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Hmm... This install/build of Denemo is becoming unusable for me.

Just crashed again, when I started it and then invoked the playback
window. I was trying to fix my lack of audio playback - it suddenly
went silent in all windows that should produce playback sound. When
I press "play" in the editor there are no errors, and the cursor is
moving, as it normally does during playback, but there is no sound.

I am suspecting the crashes to be related to the audio component... I
used to use jack audio on other Ubuntu setups, but have not been
lately - using pulse. I remember crashes years ago, related to the
wrong audio configuration

Needless to say (but i'm saying it nonetheless): the x session crash
is devastatingly disruptive; i don't remember experiencing anything
like that before... an app bringing down the whole sessio

git-pulled and built a more recent snapshot a few days ago; it's been running without crashing so far. Still a bunch of theories on the crashes:

1) My audio/midi  settings, which i had tinkered with prior to the crashes, were causing the audio subsystem to crash (and bring down the session). The new install ported over my settings - but maybe excluded the bad stuff?

2) It is/was a combination of my particular, flawed Ubuntu install, which cold-freezes on me every now and then (mostly during certain firefox browser activity), and i'm using retro metacity GNOME... which isn't the default windowing for latest Ubuntu. The freezes are consistently freezes, though, and the session crashes were always just that... the symptoms never crossed over.

3) Bad RAM ... not excluding that... but then, again, the new install hasn't crashed

denemo --version:

GNU Denemo version 2.2.7
Gtk versions runtime: 3.18.9, compiled against: 3.18.9

The only similar thing I have seen is some failure between Gtk and X
when re-sizing the Print View - the program hangs with Gtk waiting for
X to respond. I've also got the X-interaction stuck when telling the

I've had a temporary pop-up "updating" window "hour-glass" indefinitely, during Print View updates/refresh. But it seems harmless, because I can dismiss it, and everything seems ok after that. (This is with my most recent install)

debugger to stop the program at a point where a menu has just been
popped up - the menu has grabbed the interaction and the only thing
that works is Ctrl-Alt-Fn5 which gives a login prompt. I login and then
kill off the denemo process at the command line and then use Ctrl-Alt-
Fn7 to go back to my X-session.

You may find it a good practice to *always* run Denemo from the gdb
prompt - it runs just as well but if it crashes gdb will be able to
tell you where the crash happened.
Also: My gnome session gives me some errors when I first log into
Ubuntu, but i haven't had any "fatalities" until this one, so i've
been ignoring those. Perhaps it's time to address these - could be
some weird combination of that plus denemo specifics.

The re-start of the Audio subsystem can certainly cause a crash, that's
why the dialog asks you before trying it. I don't have any real
suspicion that the problem lies with Denemo, unknown MIDI hardware is
notoriously difficult to interact with safely, the manufacturer may or
may not have got it right. Currently my machine randomly switches
between line out and headphones, but I'm pretty sure that is a hardware
fault that has developed. It happens a lot after resuming a session,
but settles down for long periods after a while.