Re: [Denemo-devel] microtonal accidentals

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] microtonal accidentals
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2018 08:32:34 -0400

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018 at 5:04 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, 2018-04-06 at 17:48 -0400, Freeman Gilmore wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 12:37 PM, Richard Shann <address@hidden
> om> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2018-04-06 at 10:21 -0400, Freeman Gilmore wrote:
> > > I am trying to see how Denemo works with microtonal accidentals.
> > > can not find in the manuals how to do this.   Could someone
> > please
> > > direct me to the instructions on how to do this?
> >
> > No-one has made any special support within Denemo, it would be
> > quite
> > possible but you will need to exploit LilyPond's facilities to
> > create
> > such notation.  For example
> >
> > http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=585
> >
> > gives such notation for Turkish music by incorporating "makam.ly".
> > This
> > is something someone who was comfortable with the LilyPond syntax
> > could
> > script so that Denemo could let you enter the accidentals (and even
> > display them in their typeset form in the Denemo Display) but you
> > would
> > need some help with the Denemo Scheme syntax to do that (the
> > suffixes
> > for the accidentals have to come between the note-name and any
> > octave
> > indicators).
> >
> > Let me know if you want to tackle that!
> >
> > Richard
> >

> Richard:
>
> Between the time I sent my email and receiving you reply I found and
> read the same thing you sent to me.    I do have some questions about
> this.   I do not know Schema and I do not know if I would live long
> enough to learn all that would be needed to implement this.

Fortunately, you do not need to learn the Scheme programming language
to write scripts for Denemo to do simple things such as inserting bits
of LilyPond syntax. Several users have created scripts to do various
tasks, some of them are now shipped with Denemo

> Is schema the only part of the sores code that needs to be changing
> to do this?

Well, no part of the source code needs changing, you are able to have
your own local commands that are stored in your own directory and have
all the status of the commands shipped with Denemo (most of Denemo's
menus comprise scripts which are interpreted when you invoke them).

> Is Scheme mostly an interpreted language?

yes

> Does Scheme supply data to the C part of the Denemo code; or does it
> work independent for this?

The Scheme script would invoke procedures that are part of the source
code of the Denemo program, written in C.

> Do the glyphs come from Lilypond as needed, i.e. would ‘es’ sent from
> Denemo find and print the ‘b’ as well as coped to the Denemo work
> space?

Yes, Denemo can pass the syntax that LilyPond needs and optionally
display any glyph from the LilyPond (or any other) fonts as needed. All
this can be done by the user themselves. But as there are several
thousand Denemo commands that can be invoked you will probably need
help to find your way around - I'm always happy to help, as this is the
best fun, exploiting all the power under the bonnet.

Richard
By the way, please use the "Reply to All" or "Group Reply" buttons when
replying to a mailing list posting, as others will benefit from the
reply.

Richard:

Not sure about this.   I am not a programmer, so could you please direct a source to learn Scheme.   Because I do not read well, would you tell me which part of Scheme I should know to do this?

I would assume that there are libraries in Scheme.  One for placing # and b simples in the tool section of Denemo.  And I am going to guess the #’’s and b’s come from Lilypond to a Scheme library to place them in the work space.  Would you direct me to the section of Scheme code that works with the accidentals?  I know there are other dependent sections from what you said above.   This may be far off base, but I would like to see some code.    I am using windows, so is there a simple IDE that I would need?

Thank you, ƒ