Re: [Denemo-devel] Mac windows behavior (was Re: Proportional Notation)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Mac windows behavior (was Re: Proportional Notation)
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:44:33 +0100

On Sun, 2017-09-17 at 11:53 +0000, NagyMusic wrote:
> Thank you! My apology for not being clear. I do have the most recent
> Denemo version 2.2, and I'm using Macbook Pro Sierra.

If you use the LilyPond View you will perhaps want to upgrade to the
development version:

http://www.denemo.org/~jjbenham/gub/uploads/denemo-0.0.0-0-darwin-x64.tar.bz2

as this features syntax highlighting.

> I referred to "insert dynamic marking' button

I think I've found what you mean - it is labelled "fp"? That is actually
a palette button, in the General Palette, which by default is laid out
horizontally at the top. I have replaced all of those buttons by things
I find more useful, so I don't have that button any more (right click to
edit the palette).

> located above the main score display. The screen issue I mentioned
> earlier also happens with other commands. Most recently when creating
> custom barline where each of the four required steps caused both the
> main Denemo and typeset screens to disappear and then reappear shortly
> after 5-10 seconds. Could this be an issue with my operating system?

Well, the problem lies with the graphics library Denemo uses interacting
with the "Window Manager" or equivalent on your machine. The more modern
systems can be more difficult to control, they assume they are running
simple "apps" which don't have multiple windows I suspect.

>  I also use Windows and Linux, so I plan to install Denemo on
> different systems and see if there's a different behavior there.

I have tested Windows Vista and XP which are ok, but people have
problems with windows hiding behind other windows on later Microsoft
O/S's and I'm not sure I know what happens with the latest Windows 10
machines.

Denemo is mostly tested on GNU/Linux, but even there some of the
"modern" window managers may cause problems - I use the "traditional"
MATE desktop on Debian and spread out my Denemo Display, Print View and
Source View (and Playback View, Command Center, LilyPond View, Score
Layout View ... if I have those open) over two screens.

But there are people who successfully use Denemo on small Notepad
laptops - one of the first things to do is get rid of the palettes that
are docked by default - only for getting folk started really... they use
up useful screen space.