Re: [Denemo-devel] First Time Denemo [Mac] User - "LilyPond count not ty

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] First Time Denemo [Mac] User - "LilyPond count not typeset this score"
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 09:34:19 +0100

On Sun, 2017-05-14 at 19:50 +0000, Tony Ventura wrote:
> Denemo opens with a very small edit window in the top left of my
> monitor, but there is no menu.

It is the menu that determines the width of the Denemo Main Window
("edit window") on startup.

This feature, of the menu bars vanishing is something that I've heard of
before. The Mac has (had?) a novel feature that when you open a program
that program's menu bar, instead of being placed along the top of the
window of the program is placed along the top of the screen. Ubuntu for
a number of years distributed a build of Denemo in which this was
supposed to be happening - all the other menus disappeared completely.

Here is some snippet from a bug report to Ubuntu about that:

Using ubuntu 11.04 with Unity...
Took me a while to realise why the menus were not as complete as I read in the
manual... but a screenshot confirmed it
 and I was able to run the denemo app properly after sending the directive
export UBUNTU_MENUPROXY=0
in a terminal and before launching denemo... I think this means that denemo
should be on the menuproxy blacklist...

My guess is something similar is going on here - perhaps the GTK libraries
specially built for Mac default to that feature,
and it needs to be disabled. (I noticed, however, that the Denemo menu *failed*
to appear at the top of the screen in the screenshot Tony posted).