Re: [Denemo-devel] Duplicating in octaves

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Duplicating in octaves
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 14:58:11 +0000

On Thu, 2017-03-02 at 13:47 +0000, Joe Wilkinson wrote:
> Actually Richard, though this solves the problem it doesn't solve my
> curiosity!
>
> I assumed I would be able to find a way of writing a Scheme Script that
> would do the same, i.e. copy the note at the cursor, change the pitch of
> the copy by an octave, and then add it to the original in a chord.

Well the example I sent you doesn't do that (it could perhaps if you
set the second (mirrored) staff as a voice on the first staff and ask to
merge stems ... don't know if that's possible). My example is for where
you want a new staff, derived from the first one with the music an
octave lower. It turns out that (as so often) your question turned up a
wrinkle: the Transpose Staff command is actually transposing the voices
on the staff. I've now added a real Transpose Staff command, and moved
the current command to the Voices menu. You can now mirror the music and
then transpose the staff (there was a technicality making that tricky
using transpose the voice).

>  I've
> seen quite a lot of piano music which has a bass line partly with pairs
> of notes an octave apart, and creating a mirrored staff seems a bit like
> overkill. May not be, I suppose.

Well, no, if you want a part to print out in octaves throughout then
writing a script to insert the note at an octave lower would seem
sensible.

(ANS::AddIntervalAsChordnoteFromLowestUp 'p1)
(d-OctaveDown)

does what you want, I think. (There doesn't appear to be a 'p8 for
adding an octave so I added a unison and shifted it down an octave)

HTH